'Open Water' with Jenny Smith
We are delighted to welcome the inspirational Jenny Smith in an evening of chat and photographs, celebrating her incredible experiences swimming the open waters of the world.
(There will be a paid bar on the evening with proceeds towards The Hypatia Trust.)
From the freezing waters of the Northern Atlantic to encountering tiger sharks in the Molokai channel, join us to hear the inspirational endurance athlete and open water swimmer Jenny Smith talk about her incredible adventures from around the globe.
In 2022 she commissioned Emily to design a forever ring in celebration of becoming not only the first American to complete the Enduroman Arch to Arc Triathlon but also setting a new women’s non-wetsuit world record for her leg across the English Channel.
Wanting a contemporary piece of fine jewellery to always remind her of the sea, Jenny discovered Emily's seaweed inspired sapphire designs, and knew she had found a designer who would create something unique, interpreting her own love for the sea.
When Jenny decided to come to Cornwall to pick up her ring commission in person the idea to host a talk, celebrating the ocean and in particular open water swimming, was born.
Come and listen to Jenny’s inspirational stories; about how her connectedness to the earth, through mindfulness and meditation, has helped her overcome the fiercest open water swimming challenges.
This is the only talk Jenny is holding whilst in Cornwall.
More about Jenny's inspiring achievements...
Jenny Smith has achieved the Triple Crown of Open Water Swimming and completed solo crossings of the North Channel - a 35 km crossing between Northern Ireland and Scotland the Molokai Channel - a 42 km crossing between Oahu and Molokai Islands in the State of Hawaii and x2 English Channel crossings - 33.5 km between England and France.
Other open water swimming achievements include:
- 2017 Cork Distance Week (Ireland).
- 2017 English Channel crossing in 11 hours 13 minutes.
- 2017 Winner - Champions of Champions (Ireland).
- Swimming across Lake Titicaca (Peru).
- Swimming the width of Lake Tahoe (Sierra Nevada, U.S.A).
- Completed the 25 km Border Buster in Lake Memphremagog between the USA and Canada.
- 2018 Completed the 35 km crossing of the North Channel from Northern Ireland to Scotland in 13 hours 6 minutes.
- Completed the 19.3 km Swim Around Charleston in South Carolina, U.S.A.
- 20.1 km Swim Around Key West in Florida, U.S.A.
- Swim crossing from Anacapa Island.
- completed and finished 4th overall in the 38.6 km Tampa Bay Marathon Swim in 12 hours 34 minutes at the age of 45 to complete the Grand Slam of Open Water Swimming.
We are suitably in awe!
Words by Chloe Wild